Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Cult of Shakeology

Even as a longtime customer of Beachbody products, I had spent years avoiding this strange liquid substance being hocked at me in every commercial, print flyer and e-mail, telling me it was the greatest fitness shake on the planet.

Coming as no surprise at the expense of my curiosity and impulsive behavior, I caved. 


 What is this mysterious product you ask?  Well, it is none other than Shakeology, the famous Beachbody meal replacement and protein shake.

Now, I am not usually one to use supplements and meal replacement products--especially if I don't know what it is in them.  On top of that, I think 99.9% of them taste like the superficial crap that they are.

What made my resistance intitially stronger was the strange way the product was constantly being hocked to me: fake testimonials, constant e-mails from BB coaches that weren't even my coach and the creepy, cult-like status it accumulated through  the years. 

 So why did I buy Shakeology?  Besides needing to lose weight and work on my eating habits, I was just too dang curious and bored--a lethal combo.

So far, I have to say that I do like it.  I ordered a pack of the chocolate...and actually tastes very good!  Unlike most chocolate replacement and protein shakes, it tastes like real bittersweet dark chocolate and doesn't have any funky aftertastes.  Okay, so maybe the ingredients are the real deal...

According to its website, Shakeology boasts 70+ different "natural" ingredients from around the world that: help build muscle, reduce junk food cravings, improves digestion, balances blood sugar, boosts brain function, increase nutrient absorption and improves overall health.  Well, I guess I'm in luck.

While I cannot tangibly measure improvements in brain waves and I am not sure if there is a way to see my bicep growth progress from the previous week, I will say that I am noticing an improvement in energy levels.  In just a period of 3-4 days, I don't feel as tired or as sluggish as I previously did.  In fact, I feel good!

And hey, even if my biceps don't get to a hulking size, it is still nice to be able to enjoy a breakfast shake consisting of Shakeology, banana and natural peanut or almond butter without having to feel guilty...and it is almost as good as going to the malt shop!

So maybe I won't become a card-carrying member of the Cult of Shakeology anytime soon, but I can at least tour the club occasionally, right? 


No comments: