Tuesday, August 7, 2012

TapouT XT: oh *beep*!

Even when I'm stuck in a rut or am at my worst, fitness-wise, I've never shied away from any fitness program...and then I met TapouT XT. 


When I first saw the infomercial for TapouT XT, I was immediately hooked--but then again, almost any "extreme" fitness infomercial grabs my attention.  I'm a sucker for a good fitness informercial.

The premise of TXT--that is my abbreviation--is simple: it is a 90-day fitness systems based on Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) training.  So that means lots of kickboxing, Muay Thai, body weight exercises and plyometrics.  It's all explosive, powerful movement with a very cardio kick to it.  Sounds good, right?

Well, in theory, I'd love to be able to do this style of training.  I think because it aligns with my idea of "superhero" training.  Yes, even my 26-year-old self (almost 27) would secretly love to be a superhero--err, super-heroine, if I have to be politically correct here.  I don't know if it is those abundance of comic book movies getting to my head, but I'd love to be in superhuman, peak condition.  Some gym rants would love to have hulking physiques--by the way, speaking of the Hulk, did you know he was on the cover of Muscle and Fitness mag?  But for me personally, I like the idea of being quick and light on my feet. 

Okay, now that I have shared with you some of my imbued childhood fantasies of being "super", I also have to be realistic here: TXT looks to be hard as sh*t!  What the f@ck was I thinking?! 

If some of you recall, I did do a partial rotation of Insanity and only decided to quit because it created a dread factor for me and felt unbalanced as a fitness program.  In short, it was cardio overload.  Still, within two weeks time, I started finding the workouts doable and no longer puke-inducing.  While some people assured me Insanity was much more rigorous than TXT, I am still unsure what to think.  Here is a clip to let you decide:



Did you see those crazy ass pushups at 0:11 and 0:36?  I don't know about you, but they make me quiver in my Nike cross-trainers!  Maybe, that is it....all those variations of pushups are scaring me away.  Let's face it, the pushup is the most uncomplicated, oldest and most effective exercise, but it is so hated.  I don't know many people who like pushups...do you?

Barring my fear of pushups aside, I think I also came to the realization that I bought a program beyond my fitness level without really putting any though to it.  Yes, I am know to buy a fitness product impulsively on occasion, but I also have to learn that my eyes should not be bigger than my wallet...or my level of fitness.

Still, I don't want to shy away from a fitness challenge just yet.  I'm considering honing in on one or two workouts and slowly making my way through them as my fitness level progresses.  Perhaps only do halfsies, where I only do part of the workout and work my way up until I can do the entire thing?

No matter, I will make my way through this challenge one way or another.  So take that TXT creator, Mike Karpenko, age 43! 

Hope everyone is enjoying their week.  Cheers! 

No comments: