Friday, February 15, 2013

My favorite individual workouts

Perusing through my blog history, I noticed that I tend to talk more about systems and programs than I do individual workouts.  Well, it's time for me to share the love for exercise DVDs that don't come with tape measures and eating guides.


I think I tend to talk more about systems and programs because a.) they tend to get more attention through online and TV advertising; b.) they are trendy and capitalize on the latest fitness crazes; and c.) they get talked about and searched more often on the Internet...which means tons -- I mean tons! -- of more hits for my blog.  Well, it is no longer a secret to my readers what types of blog posts get the most hits for me.  While I am little disappointed that my recipes aren't a bigger hit (and I had more to share!), I am sure my fellow fitness bloggers can attest to this.

But in spite of how trendy and hip the latest and greatest 90-day system is, individual workouts definitely stand on their own merit and are the essential backbone of the exercise DVD industry.  Do you remember the first exercise DVD or VHS you owned?  I certainly do:  Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies.  Sure, Simmons is over-the-top, the sets and outfits are a bit garish and the workout itself is probably to easy for me nowadays, but if it weren't for Richard and other video fitness pioneers, the industry wouldn't be where it is now.  Most importantly, it got me interested in exercising.  I salute you, Richard!

So here are some my recommendations for individual fitness DVDs to make your at-home collection more interesting and diverse:


Atletica by Ilaria Montagnani

This is a kettlebell inspired workout using dumbbells...and it will make you sweat!  It is definitely a full body workout that includes dumbbell swings, push ups, burpees and has a very strong cardiovascular component.  Instead of music, Ilaria opts to use a solo percussionist, which can very polarizing for some people.  Personally, I enjoy the aggressive, fast-beat nature of the drums, as they match my increasing heart rate and push me to go harder and harder. 



 


Squeeze Stronger by Tracy Effinger

I tend to not reach for this one often due to its length (almost 80 minutes!), but it is a very thorough workout that leaves no body part out of the equation.  I would consider this a fusion workout, combining traditional strength training with Yoga, Pilates and even some Barre influence.  This one doesn't have as strong of a cardio component as Atletica, but be prepared to feel your buns burn in the lower body section and watch out for those brutal back kicks to whittle away the muffin top towards the end of the upper body section.  Plus, I personally love how the workouts switch from two settings: a rooftop and a well-lit studio that features art from Tracy herself!






30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 by Jillian Michaels

Okay, this is constitutes as two workouts, but I thought I would lump together the very best two standalone workouts from Jillian.  Why did I pick these two?  Well, they are quite frankly, short, effective and the point.  Plus, I like Jillian's 3-2-1 system: 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute of abs.  Each DVD comes with a series of workouts that progress and advance as the user gets stronger, with Shred having 3 levels and Ripped adding in a 4th level.  I didn't start seeing results until I used these workouts, so I may also be a bit biased. :p


 





Yogini by Shiva Rea

I have quite a few Yoga DVDs to choose from and while they are all nice and dandy, but when I am not reaching for one of my Namaste workouts, I reach for Shiva.  She has a very calm, earthy, ethereal demeanor, she uses gorgeous backdrops and while her workouts vary from beginner to advanced, she does give you the option to ease into the workouts through her menu matrix options.  I picked Yogini but it wasn't too hard, wasn't too easy -- just right. 






Power Circuit Training by Jackie Warner

In my opinion, Jackie Warner puts out solid workouts that maybe don't get the same kind of love Jillian's workouts do (they use to be business partners, FYI).  My favorite of hers is hands down Power Circuit Training because of the option to either do the workout as one 40-minute full body workout, or to work the body parts --abs, arms and legs-- in 3 separate 15-minute routines.  Okay, this concept isn't new, but the workouts are solid and the arm section is killer -- I am talking "wanting to throw the weights down like hot potatoes before finishing" killer.  It is that good!






Mat Workout by Tracy Anderson

Ah yes, where would this blog be without mentioning the Queen of Teeny Tiny herself, Tracy Anderson.  Ever since discovering her, I have been habitual about starting one of her program...only to stop somewhere along the way...then start up again.  I guess I go through these phases where I can't wait to do her workouts and then get distracted by something else.  But regardless of my Tracy Anderson inconsistencies habits, I have to say that her best workout DVD will always be her Mat Workout.  It is a nice introduction to her method and while she will never be world-renown for her cuing, it is easy to follow along  and catch on pretty quickly.  Plus, it features awesome music and not one, but two arm sections that will make you feel helpless afterwards (you got some competition, Jackie).






Slim & Lean and Get Ripped & Chiseled by Jari Love

Another set of twofers!  I remember when I first tried one of Jari Love's workouts and was amused the juxtaposition between her garish outfits and her straight-laced, no nonsense personality.  But I am just being nit picky because Jari's workouts are pretty good and well-structured.  Jari's workouts entail basic, old school moves  (squats, bicep curls) and very high rep in nature, so they can feel monotonous a times; however, once you get use to the routines, you can opt to listen to your own music.  Jari Love might not the be the most exciting, over-the-top instructor on the block, but her routines get the job done.



   




Core Fusion: Body Sculpt lead by Fred DeVito and Elizabeth Halfpapp

For those of us who cannot attend Core Fusion classes, there is a wonderful line of DVDs based on their popular classes.  I own a few workouts, but I recommend Body Sculpt because I think it is a nice introduction to anyone interested in Barre and Fusion type workouts.  For those wanting to hold off on trying something more advanced like Physique 57, this is challenging, but doable and also really helps with getting the form down.  Remember, with Barre-style workouts, form makes or breaks the efficiency and intensity of the workout.  Like some of the other workouts I mentioned, this one also gives you the option of working a body part in a separate 10-minute segment, or you can perform the routine as one 50-minute full body workout.  Like Jari, Fred and Elizabeth have a more straightforward and instructional approach versus some of their more outgoing (and totally out there) instructors.  Some might find them a bit dry, but I find this is preferential for this style of working out.  Besides, once you advance up to Physique 57, Tanya Becker will make you miss Fred and Liz's more soothing demeanor.




Well, hope you enjoy these some of these recommendations.  Have a good weekend.

Cheers!




No comments: