Monday, January 7, 2013

Well I guess I won't be completing a 90-day system anytime soon

I didn't last a week and I got bored with Metamorphosis.


So while last week was certainly a victory for me in terms of keeping up with a decent diet and being consistent with exercise, I just couldn't bring myself to do Tracy Anderson's Metamorphosis.  In a record 3 days, I copped out of a rotation and went all haphazard rogue.  I'm just too rebellious for my own good!

In all seriousness, I think my problem was that I jumped the gun on picking a program that wasn't consistent with my current exercise needs.  But more importantly, I just don't find her type of exercise stimulating, motivating or exciting at the moment.  Shocking, I know, considering I toot Tracy's horn a lot on this blog, but my current exercise state of  mind gravitates me towards circuit training, metabolic training, ballistic training, aerobic weight training--oh whatever the hell marketing calls it these days!  Basically, I like rotating resistance training (free weights or body weight exercises) with cardio intervals in my workouts.

I'm just so in love with circuit training right now, it is all I want to do.  I am aiming to lose weight, but I am also aiming to regain strength and endurance levels I lost from a year-and-a-half of lost exercise time.  For me, training in circuits and in intervals gives me the most bang for my buck.  Lots of calories burned?  Check.  Does it get my heart rate up?  Check. Does it improve my cardio capacity?  Check.  Does my strength improve?  Check.  Is there enough variety to keep me motivated and keep my muscles guessing?  Check and check.  Do I get DOMS like nobody's business?  Yes, please! 

This is how I roll these days.  Source: Wikipedia


Of course, this doesn't mean I am going to shelf Tracy forever.  As a true fitness junkie, I have never pledged my allegiance to one form of exercise and dismissed the rest.  I am no cult follower of one method and my wandering eye and lack of fitness fidelity will stray me to another form of exercise soon enough.  Just for this moment, I am content with alternating squats with box jumps in a circuit until my ass falls off. 

Cheers!

No comments: