Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Taking it easy for the holidays

I was out of state last week, visiting my grandmother, and am currently chillaxing at la casa de mis padres.



I have spent this past week reflecting where I went wrong with my diet and fitness regimen this past year.  Although I did go through some heavy disappointments in my personal and professional life in 2011, I allowed excuse after excuse to get in my way.

Another mistake I made throughout the second half of 2010 and even the first half of this year was spend, spend, spend and not enough time actually doing the workouts.  This mistake will not be made in 2012.  Mark my words.

The final (and most fatal) mistake I made this year was eating my feelings...to the max.  Unfortunately, I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life.  I've accepted my current situation and am ready to move forward.

Originally, I was planning on following a bunch of rotations in 2012 based on systems I already own (i.e. P90x, Turbo Fire, Metamorphosis, etc).  Realistically though, most of these systems require a 3-4 month commitment, and I am just not mentally ready for that...yet.  I also ended up trading my beloved Chalean Extreme after too many injuries to my trapezius muscle. 

Instead, I am opting for one month rotations that will revolve around a theme.  For instance, I have decided to spend my January centered around all things related to Jillian Michaels.  Yes, I know...we have a love/hate relationship.  I talk a little more about my resolutions and rotation plans for 2012 next week, after the Christmas.

Currently, I have been using my mom's elliptical trainer and doing mostly bodyweight exercises, such as push ups and box jumps. 

Diet-wise, I started following the basic principles of the Flat Belly Diet and I am currently on day 2 of the 4-day jumpstart.  During the first 4 days, I eat a lot less food, but I find that it is not a hinderance at all.  I am also avoiding foods that cause bloating: salts, alcohol, sugars and even gaseous veggies.  Since my dad is doing it with me, it does make it a lot easier.  After these 4 days are up, a good amount of the diet is about promoting portion control (just in time to enjoy an Xmas meal without going overboard).  While portion control is my enemy ( I sure love to splurge), it is something I should be doing in my daily life. 



Anyway, I am taking a break from blogging until after Christmas.  I'll be back in time to update with my resolutions and fun rotation plans I hope to be able to accomplish in 2012.

Cheers and have a happy holiday season!




No comments: