Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Snob Diet

Even though I don't like to admit it, I too read other fitness/nutrition blogs.  I know.  It blows my cover as the foremost fitness junkie in all the land, but nobody is perfect.


Recently, I came across a few bloggers discussing the "Snob Diet", a different and somewhat controversial approach to dieting.   The Snob Diet, originally featured in Glamour Magazine, advocates dining on the finer things in life: filet mignon, brie cheese, Belgium chocolates, Serrano ham, etc.   The idea is to eat only the best of the best when it comes to food and to reject anything less.  For instance, if you are craving chocolate, don't settle for that cheap and processed candy bar at the gas station, but rather, seek out better chocolate with a higher percentage of cacao.  

The idea may sound crazy at first.  How can dining on filet mignon and imported cheeses be anything different than what I eat now and how is it healthier?   Well, for one, the diet is advocating eating foods that are more natural and have less preservatives in them.   I remember learning in school how preservatives used in a lot of today's food make food addicting and leave you to desire eating more.  From personal experience, I can vouch for that.  When I eat more natural and homemade foods, I certainly feel fuller much faster.  Second, the dieting advocates eating smaller portions and savoring your food more.  I know, smaller portions seem like a no-brainer to begin with. 

What rubs some people the wrong way when it comes to the Snob Diet is advocating eating finer foods while so many people are struggling through this recession.  I do understand the sentiment...to an extent. I don't demonize people who are left eating ramen noodles and are having a harder time making healthier choices in this economy, but I also feel this is a misunderstanding of what the diet is truly trying to accomplish.

Not too long ago, I had conceived a similar idea and thought to myself that if I ever wrote a book on diet or exercise, a snob mentality to dieting would by my approach.  Look, I too cannot afford to be sprinkling my food with truffle oil on daily basis, nor can I enjoy a juicy filet mignon very often.  But I look at the situation a little differently.  Let's say I buy a wedge of brie, I have the option of savoring it two ways: 1.) spread it on a few crackers daily for a period of week and not ruin my diet otherwise, or 2.) have a pig-out session one afternoon and resume healthy eating afterwards.

I certainly have a fondness for brie cheese.
 Now, do I buy brie every time I go the grocery store?  No, but if I do consume it,  it would be like  any other treat.  I either nibble a little here and there, or a I take a giant splurge.  I can use this scenario for any other type of uppity food, like gelato or a fine wine.  Sure, it's pricier, but it teaches me a valuable lesson when it comes to food.  Food , particularly good food, is meant to be enjoyed and savored...not scarfed down or purchased in ungodly quantity sizes just because it is on sale.  I also value my dollar this way. 

A similar scenario can be applied to dining out.  Let's say I'm craving a burger and fries meal.  I could head on over to McDonalds and purchase a lot of food for $10 (well, maybe not in Cook County) or I could go to a nicer establishment and fork over a little more money.   At least in the nicer establishment, I am paying for a fresh patty of meat, french fries made from actual potatoes and better overall ingredients.  Because of this, visiting this establishment is for special occasions only and I will savor every bit of flavor. 

I apply this same philosophy to my every food purchase.  I could munch on brie cheese and a fresh baguette or gelato a few times a month, or I could succumb to the temptation of buy 2 get one free of some frozen crap (laced with preservatives) on a regular basis.  As humble as I try to be in life, this is one instance where I think I will take the snob route.



 Cheers! 





No comments: