Sunday, October 24, 2010

Workout-10/24/10

I'm taking a break from Tracy Anderson and giving another instructor I'm not usually fond of another try.



If you haven't heard of Jillian Michaels before, you have clearly been living in cave in the most isolated part of the world.  Hell, I'm sure even locals in the Tibetan plateau (supposedly the most remote place in the world) have heard of her.  She's everywhere!  She has diet books, exercise DVDs, fitness equipment, diet supplements, and is arguably the most well-known star of the "Biggest Loser" (sorry, Bob).

Just like any celebrity suffering from overexposure, Ms. Michaels isn't without her critics.  She was (mis)quoted as saying she'll never give birth because of how horrible childbirth is to a woman's body, offending women from all walks of life (After all, out-of-shape, middle-aged soccer moms makeup the majority of her fanbase).  She is being sued for a line of defective diet supplement pills she gladly put her name for the sake of turning a buck.  She's been criticized for her treatment of contestants on the BL, treating them like cattle ready to be herded to the slaughterhouse.  And her worst offense?  I'd say it was that god-awful kettlebell workout from her latest DVD.  I'll admit that I'm a novice when it comes to kettlebell training, but just watching clips of Jillian (improperly) swinging a kettlebell is blowing my back out.

Ok, now that I have gotten all that off my chest, I'm willing to give credit where credit is due.  I do think some of her workouts are fairly good quality and effective, even though I don't enjoy them the way I do with Tracy Anderson's method or Turbofire.  There must be a reason her 30 Day Shred is the highest-selling exercise DVD of all-time and has an overwhelming amount of 4 and 5 star reviews at Amazon.com.  All 3 workouts on the DVD are all under 30 minutes, get my heat rate up, and make me sweat.  This exactly what I need for my hectic, but mundane Sundays that entail cleaning, laundry, and trying to keep up in my (worthless) online course.  Now if you'll excuse me...I'm off to do level 1.

P.S.   I'll admit to eating a piece of humble pie when I look at pics of her body.  I have to say, Jillian, you have one smokin' bod!

No comments: