Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rushfit: Strength & Endurance

I mentioned in yesterday's post that due to changes in my schedule, I will probably only get to do circuit training, heavy lifting and intensive cardio on the weekends.  Well TGIS because I just finished the Strength & Endurance workout from the Rushfit series and I must give praise where it is due.




I had originally purchased this DVD at Best Buy a few weeks ago, but put it on the back burner because of distractions from my other workouts.   I'm glad I took the time to try this workout instead of letting it collect dust for a few months (or even years).  This was the first time I have been engaged by a workout in a very long time.

 I believe this is currently the only workout from the Rushfit series that is sold in retail stores.  Although I would consider purchasing the set, I may sample another DVD or two to see if the rest of the system lives up to the awesomeness I just experienced 10 minutes ago from the Strength & Endurance workout.

For those unaware, Rushfit is a fitness program based off the exercises George St. Pierre uses for MMA training.  Mind you this is probably only a 10th of what he actually does considering he one of the best MMA fighters and one of the top conditioned athletes in the world.  The set comes with 7 other workouts that encompass core conditioning, agility, and explosive power training.

Although St. Pierre is prominently featured in this series, the actual instruction is done by Erik Owings, who trains St. Pierre.  I have often found that in celebrity workouts, the presence of two leading personalities (the celebrity and the actual instructor) can be a hit or miss situation.  In this workout, it was a hit.  George has a sweet and charming personality, giving constant encouragement to the viewer.  Owings opts to take the straight man approach, but is very clear, concise and informative with his instruction.


I'm a little lazy to break down the workout, so I'll let our friends over at video fitness do it for me: http://96.30.11.231/~vfwnk/forum/showthread.php?t=160669

What I liked most about this workout was it offered modifications for different fitness levels, utilized functional fitness training, made me sweat buckets, and most of all, time really flew by.  With the exception of the last round (round 5), the circuits averaged around 5 minutes each, with 30 seconds for each exercise, no rest in between.  The last round extended the exercise time to a full minute for each move.  This type of structure really  engages me, both mentally and physically, and I don't find myself constantly checking my watch.

 When a workout drags--and this does happen often for me, even if I like the workout--I find myself hitting the "info" button on my remote to see how much longer until the workout ends.  This is the first time in a long time I didn't even think to touch it.  

Although I am sad I will probably won't get to use the workout as much I would like, I am going to utilize this DVD on the weekends as much as I can.  Kudos to both Owings and St. Pierre for making circuit training fun!

Cheers!




No comments: