Sunday, May 15, 2011

Supreme 90 now on the summer workout docket

Let me start by saying that for $19.99+ taxes, how could you not invest in the Supreme 90 system?




Some may refer to Supreme 90 as the "poor man's P90x", but the program definitely deserves recognition for its own merits.  Besides the price--and let's be real, it is a great deal--these workouts are just as effective as P90x, or any system on the market.

So what does $19.99 get you?  For the price of about four or five 12 oz Caramel Macchiatos (or at least in
Chicago), you get 10 DVDs, a workout planner, and a meal plan.  There were maybe some other items, but any fitness junkie will tell you that the DVDs are the only things that really matter when purchasing a system.  The set includes the following workouts:

  • Chest & Back
  • Ultimate Ball
  • Tabata Inferno
  • Shoulders & Arms
  • Cardio Challenge
  • Legs
  • Total Body
  • Core Dynamics
  • Back & Biceps
  • Chest, Shoulder & Triceps

Just like any workout system, Supreme 90 is not without its flaws.  I have always been an advocate of video instructor's doing the workouts with the viewer, and unfortunately Supreme 90 falls flat in this category.  Tom Holland is both a nice guy and nice to look at, but he never participates once in any of the workouts (with the exception of warm-ups and cool downs).  While I can understand a need to walk around and correct the form of the background exercisers, Holland also fails in this category.  This also brings me to my other issue with the set: the background exercisers are inconsistent and all over the place with rep counts.  At times, it seems as if they are competing with each or just trying to show off.  This leads to a lot of incorrect form and confusion on the viewer's part as to how many reps they should be doing.

But let's look at the bigger picture: if you are dead set on getting in shape and making permanent lifestyle changes to improve your health, little qualms and misgivings, like those in Supreme 90, are extremely minor setbacks.  Hey, if I concentrated on every little quirk I found in my exercise DVD collection, I would have given a long time ago.  If I got upset every time Tracy Anderson miscued, an Insanity background exerciser was annoyingly gasping for air, or if I allowed the drumming in Ilaria's Atletica get to my nerves, I'd be lucky to make it up a few flights of stairs, let alone be at the level of fitness I am now.  

Overall, I am happy to have Supreme 90 in my collection.  I have serious plans for getting in excellent shape this summer and I feel it will be one of many DVDs and systems that will help me achieve my goals.  I'm definitely using this blog for updates and to track progress.

On a side note (warning: another Chris Hemsworth plug), I saw "Thor" this weekend, and I can't help but think it provided the motivation I need to really push myself this summer.  After seeing Chris Hemsworth's divine body on the big screen, I a.) was mesmerized by his physique and unbelievable male beauty and b.) felt disgusted with my own physique afterwards.  Yes, even viewing excellence within the male physique makes my self-esteem drop a few points.  

But man does that guy look great!  Not only has he shot to the number 1 position on my celebrity crush list, but I am also convinced he might be the hottest male specimen I have seen...ever!   My apologies to Sean Bean, Thomas Kretschmann, Liam Neeson, Clark Bartram, and whatever else your name's were.  Excuse me while I go update "My Index of Sexy Men" on my other blog.

Hope everyone has a great week!  Cheers!










No comments: