Sunday, May 1, 2011

An awesome graduation gift to myself

Having just finished graduate school and reaping the monetary rewards that comes with such accomplishments (Thanks for the check, Grandma!), I went ahead and treated myself to a fitness item I have been eying for quite some time: an adjustable dumbbell set.




When I say adjustable dumbbell set, I'm talking about about the ones that allow you to switch the weight increments with ease and do not take up very much space.  Not to be confused with reloadable dumbbells ( I use to own a set), which are clunky, unstable, have weighted plates that come in odd increments, and almost take up as much space as having separate dumbbells.  They were pretty much a pain in my ass.

I went with the Weider Tech Powerswitch Pair for a total of 50lbs.  Each dumbbell goes up in increments of 5lbs, ranging from 5-25lbs.  They also come in a nice chrome finish.  I saw them on sale on the Sears website, with a total price of $150+, including taxes.


Although I still love my circuit workouts, barre workouts, and bodyweight routines, I can foresee some heavy lifting in my not-so-distant future.  My Chalean Extreme and P90x sets are calling out to me while collecting dust on my shelf.  With P90x numero dos coming out this fall, I'd like to say I at least gave P90x a real shot.  I have also been eying the Supreme 90 set.

Currently, my heaviest weight is 10lbs.  While that may good for circuit-style training, it just doesn't cut it for heavy lifting.  For me, 15-25lb range is perfect for both upper and lower body gym-style lifting, particularly if I am aiming for the 8-12 rep range.

Originally, my first choice would have been the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells.  Depending on the model, they go up to 52.5 lb per dumbbell, or as high as 90lb per dumbbell.  They also have the advantage of 2.5 lb increments instead of 5lbs.  One thing, though, that held me back from purchasing these was the price, which comes in at about $400 per set, not including taxes or shipping costs.  Granted the unit price per pound was not that much of a  difference between the two brands, but I have to realistically ask myself if more is better in this case?



Maybe if I spent more time weight training, I could see myself excelling into the 30-40lb per dumbbell range for heavy lifting, but I find that owning a 52.5lb dumbbell (105 lbs total) would be a real waste.  I can't imagine owning a 180lb dumbbell set!  Since I take the cross-fit approach to training and do many types of fitness beyond just weight training, 25lbs per dumbbell (or 50lbs total) is more than enough for me for the time being.

 I am also a renter, so moving every 1-2 years is a norm for me.  It's already a pain in the rear for me alone, but I'd feel sorry for any family member or professional mover who have to be the one to haul a pair of Bowflex dumbbells.  One of those babies alone would be a trip to the chiropractor if not careful.   No one would ever offer to help me move again and I'm pretty sure U Haul and every other moving company would put me on their DNC list.

Another good thing about the Weider set is that I can pick them from Sears directly and I am having a friend with a car take me.  From what I have seen, the Bowflex sets require mostly delivery only options.  Yikes, I don't think the front desk in my apartment complex would appreciate that.

 I just recently canceled a gym membership, so I am especially looking forward to my new fitness toys.  Good reviews, reasonable price, and perfect timing for me.  Can't wait!

Hope everyone has a good week!  Cheers!

No comments: