Thursday, May 5, 2011

The making of a Norse God

Just one more day until I get to see Chris Hemsworth shirtless! Pics inside, ladies...


This seems a little off topic, but the geek in me is really looking forward to seeing the film adaptation of the Marvel comic, "Thor", when it comes out tomorrow.  It has been a long time since I have looked forward to going to the movies, but this has been on my "must-see list of 2011" for quite some time.

So far, the film has garnered solid reviews and is doing very well overseas.  Plus, I have faith in director, Kenneth Branagh, whose career is (almost) flawless as both an actor and a director (don't worry, Mr. Branagh, I will pretend that I never saw "Wild, Wild West").  I suppose this now piques my interest for the "Avengers" movie coming out next year.  Take that, Justice League!

But let's get straight to the point here--I'm most looking forward to Mr. Hemsworth, shirtless or not.  I don't think I have been this  interested in a young, upcoming leading man-type for quite some time.  I usually prefer slightly older character actors who disappear into their roles, not the bland, pretty-boy types Hollywood has been pumping out for decades now.

 I'm hoping he doesn't disappoint.  He has all the intangibles that I like: tall, rugged-looking, blue-eyed, and Australian.  Did I mention he's Australian?  I've done some traveling when I was younger and having met young men from various cultures and backgrounds, I have to admit that I have grown a soft spot for the Aussies.


He's so darn cute, I can't even stand it!

Bringing this back to a fitness-related discussion (after all, this is a fitness-related blog), I enjoyed reading what he did to bulk up for the role.  With complete honesty, one aspect of celebrity culture I do like reading about is what they do to get in shape, but specifically, what they do to get in shape for movie roles.  Chris did the usual: weight training in 3 phases and eating a high protein, low carb diet.  When the filmmakers realized he bulked just a little too much and couldn't fit into the costume (he added an additional 20 lbs), he turned to circuit training to take it down a notch.

What I found most interesting, though, was Chris admitting to lots of sleeping as part of the equation that got him looking so buff.  I always read from celebrities and their trainers about these rigorous, hardcore workouts they did to achieve their physiques, along with eating strict broccoli and chicken diets.  It is so easy to forget that a good night's rest is just as important as the blood sweat and tears...and the broccoli.  Heck, I even admit to my bad sleeping habits as one of the reasons I am not as fit as I could be.  Guess this should serve as a reminder to work harder on that one.





These pictures are definitely reminding me that I haven't done my daily workout yet.  If you will excuse me...oh, and have a good day!  Cheers!

No comments: