Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Farmer's Market is not my friend!

When I discovered the Farmer's Market last year, I was in absolute heaven.  Not only was the selection of fresh produce and artisan goods divine, but it kicked start my journey into clean and healthy eating.  Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for this year.




To be fair, not much is in season in the Midwest and the Farmer's Market where I live just started up in mid-May.  In a matter of time, that fabulous selection I discovered last July will come into fruition very soon.

But as of right now, the Division Street Farmer's Market in Chicago is a health food nut's worst nightmare.

With the exception of asparagus and mushrooms (insert drug joke here), the selection mainly consists of locally-made pastas, pastries and sweets, cheeses, preserves, and candies.  Somehow, the Farmer's Market turned into a carb expo.  Not that I am complaining since everything sold there is delicious, but damn, where is the healthy stuff?!

Oh, did I mention the crepe stand?

One of the most popular attractions at this Farmer's Market is the Flip Crepe stand where real (sexy) French chefs make a variety of sweet and savory crepes.  So far, I have tried the Banatella (Nutella and bananas) and the Cheese Trio (cheddar, goat, and Parmesan cheeses), both which were fucking amazing (pardon my French).  Since it is a stand that makes the crepes in a more street-food fashion, the crepes are wrapped like burritos, making it seem even more filling.  Believe me, if you do not have a napkin handy, you are just asking for a mess to happen.  Every bite is loaded with filling!

Oh, and those chefs making the crepes are good-looking and have unbelievable bodies, especially their biceps and shoulders.  I wonder if crepe-making is good exercise?

While this is all good and dandy, and a great way to start my Saturday, I am still missing that great fruit and veggie selection that brought me there in the first place.  I know many good crops don't start showing up until the late summer/early fall, but I especially miss those honey crisp apples.  Have you ever taken a bite into an especially juicy honey crisp that was from a good  harvest?  It's like biting into apple cider, with a great balance of sweet and tart.

Fortunately, I heard strawberries will be popping in next week.  Hopefully when the harvest starts gearing up, I won't feel as guilty about all the crepes I will probably consume this summer.  Cheers!






No comments: