Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My fitness bucket list

The topic of bucket lists was brought up the other day on a fitness forum and it got me thinking about all the fitness-related activities I would love to try before I join that giant health club in the sky.


  Frankly, I like to think of myself as a good sport who would try anything at least once (except maybe spelunking or attending a nude yoga class), but if I had to narrow it down to a top 10 list, here are the activities that are a must-do for me:

10.) Riding a bike...again.  I know this one seems silly, but I haven't been a bike for probably 18 years.  My training wheels were off for 10 months or so when I stopped riding.  No reason at all...I just stopped.  I haven't been on a bike since and I fear I might not even know how to ride.  Regardless, I will conquer this fear one day and get  back on.

9.) Take a live barre class.  Now that I have gained a newfound love for a form of fitness I once regrettably assumed was vacuous and ineffective, I want to take the next step in my redemption and try a class.  From what I have heard, nothing beats a live class, which helps improve form and technique.



8.) Scuba Dive.  After two failed attempts at snorkeling as a child (I wussed out twice in Florida), I eventually conquered my fear 13 years ago in Mexico.  Now I want to take the next step and explore the deep blue sea even further.  While the corral reefs were nice, I crave more adventure.  Hopefully, if given the opportunity, it won't take 3 attempts this time around.

7.) Take a West African dance class...again.  I tried this one a few years ago while I was an undergrad at the University of Illinois.  I can honestly say there isn't a workout--let alone another type of dance class-- that can rival the intensity of West African dance.  Not even Insanity or heavy lifting could give me the level of DOMS this did.  If you ever see a West African dance class at your local fitness club or community recreational center, TAKE IT!  Great music, lively atmosphere, and every--I mean EVERY--muscle in your body will feel it afterwards.

6.) Run a half-marathon.   I think you know what awaits further down this list, but I need to take baby steps.  Once I get this baby out of the way, I can set my sights on loftier ambitions.

5.) Sky dive/bungee jumping.  Call me crazy, but these two  have been on my agenda for quite some time.  Not only do I lack a fear of heights, but I actually enjoy higher altitudes (you should see me in skyscraper).  Not only does this appeal to my inner adrenaline junkie, but if I end up becoming another 5 o'clock news story, at least I went out with a bang, right?

Tandem Skydiving



4.) Complete the "300" workout challenge.  I actually hated the movie "300", but man, did those Spartans looked buff!  The "300" challenge consists of various exercises that equal 300 repetitions and must be completed within a certain time frame.  While the workout itself was not necessarily used to train the actors, it was set as a gauntlet to challenge fitness buffs and those crazy enough to give a try.  This is how it breaks down:


  • Pullups - 25 reps
  • Deadlifts with 135 lbs - 50 reps
  • Pushups - 50 reps
  • 24-inch box jumps - 50 reps
  • Floor wipers - 50 reps
  • Single-arm Clean-and-Press with 36 lbs Kettlebell - 50 reps
  • Pullups - 25 reps

Mind you, this workout is set-up for a man in very good physical shape, so I'd likely have to make some weight adjustments.  I don't think I could complete the workout in the record time of 18:11 accomplished by actor Andrew Pleavin, but I'll be content with just finishing it.  

3.) Attend a live yoga class.  Even with all the Groupon deals and offers for free yoga class trials, I have  been too chicken to show up to a yoga class.  Maybe I'm afraid of looking foolish or that yogis and yoginis alike will stick their noses in the air at my presence, but I really need to conquer my fears with this one.  I might have to go sky diving first to help shake off my jitters.

2.) Surfing.  Let's face it, I will be probably spend more time in the water than on the surf board, but life is too short to be negative.  If the opportunity arose, I'd take it in a heartbeat.  Now if only I had a certain Norse god teach me...



1.) Run a full marathon.  The Boston Marathon might be the zenith of all marathons, but I'd be content just finishing any marathon for that matter.  While I still have to complete a half marathon, I'm already dreaming of a day where my broken-down body collapses on that 26th mile marker (or 42.195 km, to be exact).  My plantar fasciitis and blister-prone feet and aching shins are already rejoicing at the thought.  What can I say, when I aim high, I aim for the moon.


Dream big, my fellow fitness junkies!



No comments: