Friday, June 10, 2011

Solving the economic crisis...in my at-home gym

It is no secret I have been struggling with rotations and consistent workout schedules this past month or so, but yet I continue to buy more workouts, thinking it will be the solution.  To combat this, I have a plan that might work...or blow up in my face.



Since I have too many workout DVDs and systems to last me a lifetime (I am not disclosing the number), I feel the best way to get the most out of them is to do all of them from collection.  That is right, for the next 100+ days, each DVD in my workout collection gets a turn to bat and no one will receive preferential treatment over the other.   If this goes well, I can evaluate  what I consider a keeper and what needs to be purged.

This idea came after I impulsively  found myself ordering Michelle Dozois' Peakfit Challenge set.  While I feel terrible for the lack of self-control , the price has just been lowered to $69.99 with no s&h costs.  It was a pretty sweet deal, especially after the disaster during its original release (high prices, lost orders, scratch DVDS, poor customer service, etc).

After shaking off the initial disappoint with myself, I recognized that this was turning into a situation of diminishing marginal utility.  Essentially, the more workouts I buy, the less likely I will use other workouts in my collection, hence decreasing their value and potential for effectiveness and efficiency.

Economic aside, I really need to stop ordering and start doing.  And instead of waiting til Monday or in a week to start this, I'm giving it a go first thing tomorrow morning.  By early fall, I should be able to give a full evaluation of my experiment and hopefully there will be lesson to learn from all of this.  Or at least I hope I learn something.

Wish me luck!




4 comments:

LDY_SOLANA said...

awesome challenge! i need to get up on a consistent rotation somehow as well. if there is a video i can't bring myself to try again, it goes into the sell pile! There are some I like but just CAN'T bring myself to do again (like Tonique).

Good luck with the Peak 10 set. It looks great, but the reviews of their customer service have me staying put on even saving up for it. I might big for the Firm Express before the Peak 10, although I like Michelle better.

Liz said...

I'm hoping I won't become another Peak 10 horror story in terms of customer service. I'm definitely interested in sharing my thoughts when I finally obtain the set.

jo said...

I just bought a boat-load of Cathes during her big sale that I haven't even touched yet. I have many virgins and I could do what you are doing--but instead, I find myself in the middle of The FIRM's 90 Day Rotation. About the time I finish that, Cathe's low impact series should be arriving. I have Firm Express and haven't touched it yet--so I'm not even considering Peak 10!

Good luck on your big rotation!

RedPanda said...

That cartoon is hilarious!

I never considered my workout DVD buying habit in terms of decreasing marginal utility before, but it's made me think...