Sunday, April 15, 2012

Jillian has arrived!

I just want to first start this post by saying that I despise the new look for blogspot.  I think it is more confusing than that damn Facebook timeline!


Okay, rant over.  So what were my initial impressions of Jillian's Body Revolution set?  Maybe I was still in a foul mood over the changes here on blogspot, but I did not get off on the right start with Body Revolution. 

I was not a happy camper at first
First off, the packaging has to be the most obnoxious and wasteful I have seen come with a system.  Nevermind the silly, paper-thin binders that the carries the DVDs (no scratches, thankfully).  The set came with too many booklets.  What was especially annoying was that the 7-day "jump start" had its own book, when it could have easily been tacked on to the Fitness Guide or the Fat Burning Meal Plan.  For those of you unfamiliar with systems, many include a "jump start" or detox-- whatever they decide to call it-- that includes calorically low food guidelines and usually week-long schedule recommendations to allow you to lose a lot of weight initially. 

 Gaiam, the distributor, also decided it was necessary to include flyer advertising for stamps, car insurance and other useless shit that I already hate getting in the mail.  I probably recycled more from the packaging than what I actually intend to use.  I think they managed to top the ubiquitous Beachbody for worse packaging ever.

My disappointment continued when I was quick to learn that I was being given a measly green resistance band because the original black, adjustable resistance cable was out of stock.  I learn about this misfortune by digging through the many printouts Gaiam felt necessary to include--but boy was the font on that flyer snazzy!   Well, on the bright side, this is the first resistance band that I own that is the color green.

I can't even look Jillian in the eye anymore
Okay, okay... enough with the negativity.  Once I was able to sort through the garbage, there was certainly some treasure to behold.  I previewed some of the DVDs from Phase I and was liking what I was seeing. 

Like any Jillian workout, she uses the first workouts to build your fitness base.  There are a lot of fitness low-impact moves and many modifications made for all fitness levels.  Beginners are obviously encouraged to go at their own pace and while Jillian usually employs her harder stuff at the later stages, advanced exercisers can still benefit.

I will review the individual workouts at a later time, but here a breakdown of the 90-day rotation:

Phase 1

Weeks 1&2
-Mon: Workout 1 (strength)
-Tue: Workout 2 (strength)
-Wed: Cardio 1
-Thur: Workout 1
-Friday-Workout 2
-Sat: Cardio 1
-Sun: Rest

Weeks 3&4
-Mon: Workout 3
-Tue: Workout 4
-Wed: Cardio 1
-Thur: Workout 3
-Fri: Workout 4
-Sat: Cardio 1
-Sun: Rest

Phase 2

Weeks 5&6
-Mon: Workout 5
-Tue: Workout 6
-Wed: Cardio 2
-Thur: Workout 5
-Fri: Workout 6
-Sat: Cardio 2
-Sun: Rest

Weeks 7&8
 -Mon: Workout 7
-Tue: Workout 8
-Wed: Cardio 2
-Thur: Workout 7
-Fri: Workout 8
-Sat: Cardio 2
-Sun: Rest

Phase 3

Weeks 9&10
-Mon: Workout 9
-Tue: Workout 10
-Wed: Cardio 3
-Thur: Workout 9
-Fri: Workout 10
Sat: Cardio 3
-Sun: Rest

Weeks 11&12
-Mon: Workout 11
-Tue: Workout 12
-Wed: Cardio 3
-Thur: Workout 11
-Fri: Workout 12
-Sat: Cardio 3
-Sun: Rest

To summarize, that is 12 strength DVDs and 3 cardio workouts, for a grand total of 15 workouts.  Fifteen different workouts with Jillian's oh-so-loving personality over a period of 90 days?  Hell yes!

Okay, Jillian, you have me intrigued again


 Jokes aside, Jillian's demeanor is a lot more personable and friendlier in this set.  Yes, she is still her usual "I want to make you feel pain" mode, but she is more smiles and laughter than barking and gritting her teeth this time around.  I think I can handle that.

In spite of my annoyance earlier with the ridiculous amounts of paper used, I do like a lot of the recipes from the Fat Burning Meal Plan.  There are a lot of recipes and the chocolate-cinnamon frozen banana pops and the spiced fig and apple compote looks especially delicious.  I have also heard from numerous sources that most of the Meal Plan is very similar to her book, Master Your Metabolism. If it saves me a trip to the bookstore, I am all for it.

Wait, scratch that.  I like going to the bookstore.  Another strike against you, Jillian!

But in all seriousness, I find this to be the first system that is completely doable and I may be able to finish in 90 days.  The schedule is diverse enough, the workouts average to 35 minutes and Jillian is more likable Jillian and less "I want throw something at my screen" Jillian.  Even though I love Tracy Anderson, I couldn't sustain long-term commitments to her Metamorphosis. Doing the same strength workout for 10 days and the same cardio workout for 90 days--yes, 90 days--was overkill for me.  This seems more manageable.

I am a happy camper once again


As I stated earlier, I will check back with reviews of the individual workouts and maybe even some of the recipes.  I am really looking forward to this and feel this help kick start my much lagging fitness routine. 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend!  Cheers!


No comments: