Saturday, February 18, 2012

Getting in shape doesn't have to cost much

 Thanks to Netflix, I was able to catch on Supernatural, a show that garnered my interest back in 2005.  Unfortunately, college got in the way, so I wasn't able to keep up with all the adventures and shenanigans of those Winchester Boys (Dean is my favorite, btw). I have been so addicted and glued to the TV these past few days, I didn't even want to pop in any of my fitness DVDs.

But not forgoing my desire to get back in shape, I improvised.


With the exception of one 5-lb dumbbell, I did a mostly body weight circuit consisting of: push ups, squats, lunges, mountain climbers with glide discs and Turkish get ups with the dumbbell.  I repeated the circuit 4 times, with an average of 20 reps per exercise...all while watching Sam and Dean kick the ass of evil creatures that go bump in the night!

When I was done--sweaty and out of breathe--I felt great and came to a realization:  I had wasted years and money on tons of equipment and DVDs when all I needed was some motivation and my body weight to get the job done.

Now, I am not necessarily calling my equipment a total waste, as much of it will come in handy later, but I am thinking I might have spent a little less had I come to this realization sooner.  But maybe I needed to make these mistakes in order to learn from them?

I also realized that I can really myself push hard and take minimal water breaks if I can be distracted by something stimulating, but also allows me to turn away on occasion.  TV shows are perfect for this.  And unlike movies, TV shows provide recaps of what happened last episode and what has been the reoccurring plotline through the season in the event you have to turn away for a sec to catch your breathe. 

I only wish I had realized this sooner as I usually make time in the evenings and early mornings to watch a little bit of  a TV series I'm trying to catch up with (usually 30 min-1 hour each time).  So why not use this time wisely to stretch or do some circuits?


As you know, in celebration of my tax return, I expanded my collection a little.  With purchases for the new Tonique Sculpt Dynamics and The Weider set, it came to about $57.  That price ain't bad, considering $33 of that $57 was spent on an 8-week system.  I definitely plan to start incorporating the Weider X-Factor Body weight program into my routine starting next week, but I will talk more about that later.

While I am excited to incorporate these purchases into my routine, I'm thinking purchases like these will be probably few and far in between these days.  Back in 2010 and early 2011, I was making fitness purchases like crazy, keeping up with the latest trends from Beachbody or stalking the sales over on Collage Video.  But now I think I am ready to just get back to the basics.

Have a good weekend!  Cheers!

I love watching these two pretty boy kick the supernatural in its gluteus maximus.


No comments: