Friday, January 20, 2012

The quest to eat healthier: oatmeal pumpkin pancake recipe

When I say recipe, I really mean me just flying by the seat of my pants as I go along.


So in my quest for eating healthier, I am trying to find inventive ways to make healthier versions of foods I crave.  Inventive is the keyword here.

My first recipe involved making pancakes by mixing oatmeal (quick oats are preferable), almond milk, some canned pumpkin (not pie mix), cinnamon and some Stevia to sweeten it.  I also threw in a small amount of Swedish pancake mix to work on the consistency.  I cannot give you the exact measurements as I eyeballed everything.

Hypothetically, I could possibly say that the ratio of oatmeal to milk was 1 to 0.75, or 1 cup of oatmeal to 2/3 cup of almond milk.  I needed some thickness for the oatmeal batter after all.  The Stevia accounted for a teaspoon, but I would just be bullsh*tting you if I claimed to know the measurement amount for the other ingredients.

I then preceded to heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat for a few minutes before ladling these babies into the skillet.  They cook about 2 minutes on each side.

Low and behold, my creation came to life!  Well, not exactly in terms of Dr. Frankenstein, but they did turn out okay.

Don't mind the burnt edges...I actually like the crispiness.
Texturally, they were not exactly what I desired and even their taste alone was not up to my standards.  However, after dollop of Greek yogurt and apple butter one of them, and almond butter and apple butter on the other, they were delicious.  I especially liked the almond butter/apple butter combo.

Now, I know I could have followed a recipe, but from past experiences, I have the most amazing ability to f*ck up even the easiest of recipes.  Like my mother, I prefer experimenting with my own mixture of ingredients until I get it just right.

While I am still looking to improve on this recipe, I will say that it did open up my creative side a bit.  Here's hoping that I will try to experiment create more recipes down the line.

Enjoy the weekend!  Cheers!


 

No comments: