Thursday, January 5, 2012

My other New Year's resolutions

This blog is mostly to document my struggles, triumphs and opinions on all things related to fitness, but a recent conversation I had with a friend the other day had me thinking about my overall New Year's resolutions.



Although they say that most of us who make fitness resolutions will falter by the end of the month of January, I find them easier to make then any other type of New Year's resolutions.  Maybe because anything other than changing your diet and fitness routine, change takes more than a do list of idealistically unrealistic goals.  I suppose as I grow older and more cynical, I have to accept that sometimes things don't always go the way I expect them to.  I also need to realize that goals and dreams take more than a month of wishing upon stars to get them done.  Life is one big journey and the only final destination is the one that comes when you die.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd at least make a list to see how my outlook on life and perspective have changed from previous years.  So here are my serious and not-so-serious New Year's Resolutions of 2012:

 -Find stable employment:  I've been interning, temping, part-timing and freelancing for years.  I think it's just overdue.

- Help my friend's business grow:  I'm going in on a business venture with a friend.  It's an event planning business that do events geared towards professional and entrepreneurs.  Our first event is coming up and I hope this turns into something special.  Maybe one day, this could solve my employment situation.  Oh, and we have an early bird special going on until the 10th!

-Be more sociable: Let's face it, I'm a recluse...okay, it's not that bad, but I am a person who doesn't like networking or socializing much.  It gets worse as I get older, so I need to take the initiative to go out and meet new people just a little more.  

-Travel more: It would be unrealistic to expect a major trip to Paris or Thailand, but I should make the intiative to explore new areas and try to visit out-of-state friends and family.  Baby steps until my next big trip (that will be 2013). 

-Be more empathetic/sympathetic: Funny thing is, I have always been the lending ear for many friends and colleagues.  But I unfortunately find it makes me less empathetic and sympathetic over the years. Couple that with the drama and BS of the world around us, I just become more of a jaded bitch. Again, the getting older fits in here.  I guess I'd like to be able to let go of my own way of seeing things and understand where other people are coming from. 

-Smile and laugh more: I just don't do this enough.  I should. 

-Seize the day: It doesn't have to be much,  just savoring a bunch of little moments as life is too short.  Carpe Diem, my friends! 

-Meet someone special: I ain't old yet, but I feel I am missing out on bonding with someone special, especially at this point in my life.  I'm not sure if I will ever get married, but I'd love to meet someone to share my life with.  With complete honestly, I will have to let my guard down and be more open.  That is definitely a work in progress, but I am willing to make the effort.  And if this certain someone strikes a resemblance to Chris Hemsworth or Joel Edgerton, I wouldn't be complaining. ;)



Well, regardless of the outcomes, I hope to make the most out of 2012.  I hope 2012 brings you many blessings as well.

Take to the skies, my fellow fitness junkies, and don't look back! 

















No comments: