Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Social Media Sundays" and other updates

If you haven't already noticed, my blogging has lagged considerably this summer.  The same could be applied to my exercise efforts as well.




As I have lamented about lately, I'm super busy with two internships but no real sense of what my future may look like.  Factor in my student loans, a worsening economy and the fact that I like to self-medicate through food, then I have to say that this has not been one of my better summers.

Let's not forget my lack of initiative to exercise or get my body in motion.  Although I have to say that my waist has only minimally felt the impact of my destructive habits, my stamina, strength and energy have depleted considerably.  While I can still do a real push-up, I'm lucky to be able to pump out 10 consecutively, which is a vast drop off from the 30-50 I use to able to do.

To combat this problem, I have a plan.  But hey, when don't I have a plan?  If I were a Bond supervillian, I think I would be most ineffective and pointless supervillian the world has ever seen.  While that is good news for the safety of the planet, it's bad news for me.  I need to learn how to actually stick to a plan.

First thing I must do is hold myself accountable.  Blogging after such a long hiatus is the first step.  Now I have to do it consistently.

 As the title of this thread implies, I plan to devote my Sundays to updating this blog, as well as my other social media outlets.  Thanks to websites like Hootesuite and Ping, I can condense my social media world to one or two dashboards.  I am in PR, so being able to utilize these tools effectively and efficiently is a must.  I also find social media usage can be cathartic, but that only really applies to this blog.  I secretly long for the days before Facebook and Twitter.

Along with consistent blogging and social media updates, I must hold myself accountable to an invigorating, challenging, but realistic workout schedule.  The few times I have exercised this summer, I found myself grabbing for a form of exercise I normally avoid like the plague: yoga.  Starting tomorrow, I am taking the plunge and immersing myself in a mostly yoga regiment.

Besides the calming demeanor and refreshing feeling I get from a good yoga session, I have found that yoga is one of the few forms of exercise I can handle in the am.  With my tight schedule it's 5am workouts or bust.  I like that yoga also presents a different kind of challenge from the usual traditional exercise fare.  It requires so much concentration and patience.  It kicks your butt in a more subtle way.

I'll also sprinkle some barre and Pilates in there.  With this type of rotation, I'm looking to build my stamina and energy levels.  I have also heard stories of people exclusively using yoga and finding strength and cardiovascular gains well.  Eventually, I'd like to go back to a time where plyometrics, heavy lifting and HIIT training were a regular part of my day, but that will just have to wait.

I have to say in spite of all my talk about rotations and making lofty ambitions about my fitness goals, I am optimistic about this one.  Who knows...maybe this will lead down a path of being a yogini.

Have a good week!  Cheers!

No comments: