Friday, March 4, 2011

My first fitness celebrity crush

I don't know if this post is conducive to my blog, or if I should leave it for a "dear diary" entry, but I feel the need to get this off my chest.  Normally, I have a thing for non-conventionally good-looking actors with a foreign twist (hello Thomas Kretschmann...), but I recently started an infatuation a fascination with one of America's most well-known fitness models: Clark Bartram.




For those of you who know me, overly buff men have never been my cup of tea.  In fact, I tend to embrace flaws.  Peruse over to my other blog and look at my "Sexy Men Index" to get a sense of what my tastes in men are like.  Yet despite Clark Bartram representing the antithesis of everything I find sexy, I'm oddly fascinated by this man.



You see, the first time I ever heard of Bartram, I was watching an episode of Penn & Teller's "Bullsh*t" which set out to debunk the myths perpetuated by the fitness industry that you can look fit and trim if you do xyz or buy product x.  Basically, everything comes down to genetics and you are either born genetically perfect (like Clark Bartram), or you stuck looking like Danny Devito. Bartram was a guest expert due to his 20+ years in the fitness industry as a model, spokesman, and trainer.  He was often shown flip-flopping between promoting the idea that anyone can be a fitness model (he wrote a book on it after all) and agreeing that genetics is the reason why himself and many of the fitness elite look the way they do.

While Bartram wasn't doing the best to promote his image, it seemed that both Penn and the producers used editing to make Bartram look like a narcissistic fool.  Methinks Penn was drinking a little too much haterade, but admittingly, I initially fell victim to the editing.

A few months later, I came across a clip of Bartram interviewing Tony Horton (the P90x guy for those of you who don't know) on Youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExtBDKp3qQo .  Intrigued, I clicked on his Youtube channel and starting browsing through many of his clips.  I later found a link to his website (www.clarkbartram.com...you can thank me later for that plug, Clark) and started a newfound appreciation for this guy.



Sure, he might still come off as a bit cheesy  in many of his videos and blog posts as he did on "Bullsh*t", but I believe that he is a really nice guy who wants to help people based on his knowledge and experience with the fitness industry.  Besides writing books and articles, he loves promoting new talent.

The other thing that really won me over was how family-oriented he is.  He loves involving his family in many of his fitness ventures and he seems quite proud of them.  He has also been married to the same woman for 20+ years.  It is easy to assume he'd be married to some 20-something, but he makes it clear how much he loves his wife and how beautiful he thinks she is.  And believe, me she is gorgeous!  Plus, she is Latina (good tastes, Clark).

Even for your non-fitness types, this man played Batman in a couple of fan-made short films:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjp0I_okX0w and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmqc4RhSQY.  How could you not like him for that alone?!  I don't know if I would declare him my favorite Batman, but he certainly was better than George Clooney or Val Kilmer...maybe even Adam West!

With that being said, here's to you Clark Bartram!  You get my seal of approval!



Hope everyone has a good weekend!  Cheers!



P.S.
After writing all of this, I feel like either his publicist, or worse, Glenn Close.  I'm crossing my fingers that this man produces more projects in the near future...or at least projects not relegated to me stalking him on Youtube and his website.

No comments: