Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bikini season

As the weather slowly warms and the flora and fauna start to awaken from their winter slumber, the only thing that makes dread the otherwise lovely transition into to spring is all the talk about getting ready for bikini season.




Anyone who subscribes to women's magazines or websites knows what I am talking about.  Hell, just walk into a convenience store and pick up Self magazine and you'll see what I mean.  With summer just 3 short months away, advertisers and lifestyle mags use this time to promote lofty promises that if you use these" 6 belly-busting moves", or you take on this "4-week challenge", your body will look great in a two piece.  As nice as it sounds, it's just not realistic.

Of course, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't admit that I too was looking for some physical self-improvement before the warm weather hits.  In fact, I am pledging to kick up my clean eating a notch as well as increase the amount of time I exercise for the next 4-5 weeks.  The difference for me, however, is that I'm always looking for gains in more than just the aesthetics department, i.e. strength, endurance, and flexibility.

As fitness junkies and exercise vidiots, we all have different goals and aspirations.  I'm not here to judge other people's goals and I try and respect those who do not share mine.  If looking hot in a bikini is your goal for the next few months, more power to you.

 I guess my real problem lies within the fact that around this time of the year(or any time of the year for that matter), us women (and some men) are bombarded with reminders that our bodies are never going to be good enough until we buy x product or commit to xyz program.  While I understand it is the nature of the beast in advertising and marketing, I also find it bothersome that many of these advertisers and companies are inaccurately portraying fitness as a whole in order to keep women coming back for more.  Let's face it, those 6 "belly-busting" moves are pretty useless if you A.) aren't eating a good diet and B.) you aren't mixing it up with other forms of exercise that constantly challenge your body.

But as of the few New Year's resolutions I might be actually able to keep this year states, I'm looking to stay on the positive side.  In order to prepare for summer, for the next five weeks I'm committing to a loose (loose being the key word here) rotation of barre (P57 specifically) and circuit workouts, with a little mix of running and kickboxing-esque workouts (Turbo Fire and Powerstrikes) thrown in there.  I'm also trying to get some nightcap yoga in there, along with morning stretches in order to improve my flexibility and coordination.  And of course I will engage in eating clean to the max.  I will still allow myself the occasional splurge, but I think cheat days will turn into the occasional cheat meals instead.

While it would be nice to have my legs look good in some sun dresses that have been sitting in my closet for awhile, I'll also need to be fit enough for festivals, long days at the amusment park (I have a 7-year-old nephew/godson), and helping both my friends and myself move from one apartment complex to the next.  Let's face it, for the past 5 years of my life, I have had to move from college dorm to college apartment to college apartment to parent's house and then current apartment in the city during the hottest days of the summer season.  Always.  Since being fully committed to improving my fitness for the past 18 months, my stamina and endurance have improved greatly.  I still hate moving though!

Regardless, I have a feeling this is going to be a great and exciting summer season!   Cheers!


No comments: