Friday, March 4, 2011

Fitness and horror cinema: an unlikely duo

I thought I'd share something that made me laugh recently.  We already know what a slave I am to the fitness industry, but for those of you who don't know me beyond this blog, I'm also a fan of horror films.


 Most of the blogs I subscribe to pertain to either fitness/weight-loss journeys or horror films/scary stories, two unrelated topics...or at least until a few days ago.

In my buzz section, I came across a blog post titled "Yoga."  Most surprising, the post came from the blog "Horror Movie a Day", a blog dedicated to daily reviews and recommendations of horror films, both mainstream, indie, foreign, and from previous eras.

Here is a link to the post: http://horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com/2011/03/yoga.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+HorrorMovieADay+(Horror+Movie+A+Day)

To sum up the plot, it is an Asian horror film that revolves around a young female protagnonist practicing yoga at a studio operated by a coven of immortal witches.  Besides being psychologically trippy with bizarre dream sequences, it's allegorical themes center around women's fears of aging and their desire to find ways to capture eternal youthful beauty.

 The best part of the review was the author's anecdote about his own personal experiences with yoga, which alone were horrifying for him.  Based on this experience, he admitted to already being terrified of the yoga-centric film.  That made me lol.

This got me thinking, what other ways can fitness and horror cinema come together?  "Invasion of the Body (Fat) Snatchers"?  "The Creature from the Black Lagoon Health & Fitness Club"?  "The Exercist"?  Ok, those were lame, I'll admit it.  Any suggestions?

No comments: