Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why I make my food ahead of time

I'm pretty much all or nothing when it comes to preparing food.




I don't know if it is laziness, poor attention span, an aversion to cooking for long periods of time, the need to feel inspired, or a combination of all of the above, but I hate cooking on a daily basis.  And I mean hate it!

Nothing stresses me out more than worrying about what to make for dinner, what I need to pack for lunch, or wondering if I will have time to prepare breakfast.  This type of stressful decision making often leads to unsavory food choices--like ordering takeout, for instance.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to two factors: 1.) looking for time-saving ways to prepare meals and 2.) preventing food waste.

With me, I don't mind spending an entire afternoon on a Sunday baking and preparing food while drinking wine and listening to music.  In fact, I find it therapeutic.  But I would hate to be performing this task on a daily basis. Crap, I don't know how I'll cope if I ever become a mother!  Cooking every day?  Eeeek!

Currently living life as a single gal in the city, it can also be time consuming and cost ineffective to only cook what you will be eating that day.  I don't know how many times I only ate part of what I bought, only to throw the rest in the garbage.  If I cook it all ahead of time and bag it, not only does it make it easier for next-day meal prep, but I may actually finish it.

I think the other point I'm not touch on here is nutrition and keeping up with good eating habits.  I mean, I'm someone who will eat out convenience...I need some healthy food ready to eat on hand or it's a night in with a  16" pizza to myself.  In case you were wondering, I can finish that baby in one sitting.

So what types of foods do I personally like to make ahead of time?  Here's my list:

1.) Oatmeal.  Especially during the colder seasons, oatmeal hits the spot and can you keep you feeling fuller for longer.  What I like to do is make a batch of about 4-5 servings and place it in the refrigerator in a bread loaf.  When I want to heat up, I cut myself a slice, heat in the microwave and top with fruits, nuts, etc.  I find that this good with portion control since I have been known to over serve myself oatmeal when I eat it directly from pan-to-bowl.  In this situation, I'm a little more conscientious of how much I am eating and much I have left.

2.) Quinoa.  Remember my post raving about how wonderful quinoa is?  Well, I still am in the honeymoon stages with this wonder food.  Like rice, quinoa can dry a bit if left in the fridge, but I find a few teaspoons of water can rejuvenate its moist and fluffy texture.  Even when not possible, slightly dry quinoa is great for coating meats and for some extra texture in stuffed foods (i.e. stuffed bell peppers with goat cheese...yum!).  Since I find that a small serving of quinoa goes a long way, there is definitely plenty leftover to work during the  week.  Here is a recipe for one of my favorite ways to eat quinoa.

3.) Roasted vegetables.  When it comes to produce, I'm pretty good with finishing fruit before it goes bad.  Veggies, however, are another story.  One way to avoid this problem is to cut up and roast a variety of vegetables in the oven ahead of time and serve it as a side dish all week long.  This is also a great way for me to get my recommended serving of greens in my diet since I can be pretty lazy otherwise when it comes to prepping veggies on a daily basis.

4.) Soups and stews.  Speaking of veggie waste prevention, I find this is another way to make use of my produce stock.  I'm not too particular when it comes to taste, so I tend just throw some broth/stock in a pan with a garden variety of chopped veggies and let them simmer on low for an hour.  It's not the most haute cuisine, but it is filling, nutritious and hits the spot in the winter months.

That being said, I'm still looking for more inventive, healthy, time-saving and cost-effective recipes that allow me to prep my meals ahead of time.  Any suggestions?

No comments: