Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm now technologically hip

For years, I had always been behind the times, technologically speaking.  This weekend changed all that, as I became the proud parent of a Droid 2...which means access to an unlimited amount of useless and time-consuming apps, and potentially losing the ability to socialize properly. Oh, the downfalls of technology.




 I don't want to be a zombie to the tragically hip culture created by today's technology, but I have to say I'm finding my new baby to be quite useful, particularly in terms of helping me stay on track with my fitness goals.  While I have to give credit to that awesome app that allows me to find the nearest Starbucks from my current location (I'm an addict), my favorite apps definitely pertain to health and fitness.

                                          This is now how I am managing my life.



I've only downloaded a few apps for the sake of my battery's life, but my tops would have to be My Fitness Pal, Restaurant Nutrition, and Woman Log.

Some of you are probably already aware of the website, myfitnesspal.com.  In fact, I signed up for an account months ago.  While the concept is great--keeping track of your weight loss/fitness goals through journaling calories with the help of a food and exercise database that estimates the numbers for you--it can be time consuming.  Who can remember everything they ate during the day and whether or not they did Turbo Fire: Fire 30 or Fire 60 after a long, hard day of work and school? Even I, a very organized person, can be absented-minded when it comes to these things,

With the app on my phone, it makes it easier to keep track since I can add to my daily food log while scarfing down my lunch, or updating my exercise log right after I finish my workout.  Essentially, it is the accessibility that the phone creates that makes the whole process so much easier.

Since I'm on-the-go a lot, I tend to eat out more than I wish to admit.  Through research and reading many of David Zinczenko's columns (he taught me to 'eat this, and not that"), I have a pretty good idea of what menu items to eat and what to avoid when having to eat out on a regular basis.  Still, it's nice to have a guide on hand to help me make these decisions, hence why I love the Restaurant Nutrition app.  Since I'm already VIP over at Starbucks, Au Bon Pain, and Cosi's, I might as well figure out what choices won't worsen my saddlebag situation I got going on here.

  David, our relationship has been great and you have taught my so much about restaurant nutrition, but it's just not working anymore.  Don't worry, it's not you, it's me.


The Woman Log might be the most handy of the three. If you haven't already figured out what it does yet, to put it bluntly, it keeps track of our monthly woman troubles.  I love this because I am notorious for miscalculating Aunt Flo's next visit.  Other than a few biologically-inclined signs that my body occasionally decids to alert me with, I can be pretty clueless.  There are a few other apps that do this feature, but the Woman Log app puts it in a nice-looking calendar format.  Plus, I also know when I'm most fertile and when I'm ovulating--which is our prettiest time of the month, ladies.  Guys may scratch their heads at this one, but ladies, this app is a must!

With Monday around the corner, I'm looking forward to managing all of this.  We will see if I can manage my fitness goals much better...or if I will become the latest victim to the temptations of technology.

Cheers!

No comments: