Friday, June 22, 2012

8 Simple Goals

Now that I am back into exercise action, I thought I would make a list of 8 tangible and real goals to get me back on track.


1. Exercise 4-5 days a week.  I'd love to do 6, but baby steps, Liz, baby steps.  I think 6 can be tangible in a month or two.

2. Exercise for a minimum of 20 minutes.  A great piece of advice I got  from my friends over at the Video Fitness forum was to take consistency over quantity.  Doing a few minutes a day is better than doing nothing, and most importantly, it detracts from any dread factor.  And let's face it, dread factor=not exercising at all.

3. Get a mininum of 7 hours of sleep.  I have to honest, I wish to cut this down to 5 or 6, but that barely cuts it.  At the same time, 8-10 is laughable--unless it's the weekend.  Lucky 7 will just have to suffice.

4. Drink more H20.  I know this a "no sh-t, Sherlock" moment, but one of my shortcomings has always been drinking minimal amounts of water.  It's summer.  I need to drink more.  Period.

5. Eat out less.  When I mean eat out, I actually mean takeout at home.  Confusing, yes, but I need to cook more with fresh ingredients and I am finding that my tolerance for my own cooking is improving.  Grub Hub will probably lose some business from me, but while their wallets take a hit, my health gets a much needed improvement. Instead of ordering takeout, I am allowing myself to splurge a little on days I go the Farmer's Market.  I buy mostly healthy stuff, but the Apricot and Almond layered Brie occasionally calls to me...but don't worry, I don't eat it all in one sitting.

6. Coffee in the AM on and taking it  black.  Oh, god this is going to be so hard, especially since I am a coffeehouse junkie!  If I plan to drink coffee in the day, it will only be in the morning and no cream or sugar.  Also, I get one trip to the coffeehouse per week to splurge on some mocha-frappacinco-sugary-latte concoction. 

7. Tracking everything.  Food?  Yup.  Exercise time? Yes!  Measurements?  Ugh, I guess.  Ain't gonna lie, it is pretty ugly right now.  Let's hope I have something to boast about by the end of the summer.

8. Positive attitude.  This one is kind of laughable because I am the Queen of cynicism, skepticism and sarcasm, and anything else that ends  with "sm".  But as I already break number 8 by writing this, it just makes me realize that I need positive changes in my life.  No, it isn't coming overnight, but with time and a little patience, I will get better.  In fact, my grandma --who passed away recently-- always use to say, "Everyday, in every way, I get better and better." 

Writing that just put a little smile on my face.

That being said, I am exiting this blog post on a positive note.  Cheers!


No comments: