Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The 12 Days of Halloween: Day 2

Today's theme is all about training for the Zombie Apocalypse. 

This is why I can't do morning workouts. (Stock photo)




Routine of the Day: Zombie-Fightin' Lower Body Blast
 
To complete my early evening run -- because running should be the most important type of exercise while getting ready for the Zombie Apocalypse -- I completed 2 ten-minute circuits that should help strengthen your lower body, while also improving speed and stamina.  You know, when you have to do those close-range kills.

Circuit 1
 
1.) Plyo Lunge
 
2.) Step Up - R Leg
 
3.) Plyo Squat
 
4.) Step Up - L Leg
See video above
 
5.) Lateral Shuffle
 
 
 
 
Circuit 2
 
1.) Single Leg Dead Lift - R
 
2.) Frog Leaps 
 
3.) Single Leg Deadlift - L
See above video
 
4.) Heisman Jumps
 
5.) Calf Raises
 
 
 
Note: Do each exercise for 30 sec each, 10 sec rest in between, and repeat each circuit a total of 3x.  If you want more of a challenge, repeat the circuit or do increase the exercise intervals to 50 sec.  The deadlifts require weight, but you can also add weight to the step ups and calf raises. 
 
 
 
Fall Treat of the Day: Pumpkin Cheesecake
 
Okay, let's say I don't survive the ZA and a horde of ravenous undead walkers close in on me -- what do I enjoy in my final moments?  Pumpkin cheesecake, of course!  It is creamy, richer than pumpkin pie and my slice had a ginger snap crust. 
 
This is a pretty easy item to get your hands on and tons of grocers and bakeries will have them on hand.  I got my mine at First Slice Café in the Andersonville neighborhood.   Best pie in Chi...dare I say?
 
 
 

 
Song of the Day: Walking Dead Theme (on loop)
 
Fans of the popular Walking Dead show on AMC are familiar with the show's ominous theme, but it only last maybe 30 seconds.  But someone out there heard our prayers and looped the theme so that you can treat yourself to 10 hours of the same volatile string piece...yay!  I admit that it does get maddening after awhile; I lasted 3 miles on my jog today before switching it off.  How long can you last?
 
 
 
 
Bedtime Story/Movie of the Day: Night of the Living Dead
 
 
What else would I recommend.  It is the film that ignited our love for the zombie genre.  Although zombies have become more popular in the 21st century, this 1960's George Romero film is still the Godfather of zombie films.  Fun fact: my father told me a story about attending a Halloween party at a fraternity in the 70's, where this film was being projected on a house.  There was no sound, but he said it made all that more creepy. 😲
 
 
Cheers!
 


No comments: