Monday, April 21, 2014

Six weeks until June

Summer is just around the corner, so naturally I am panicked.  How did time fly so fast?




 Technically, summer doesn't start until the Solstice on June 21st -- exactly 61 days from now.  But most people, including me, get in the summer state of mind the moment June appears.  So along with that summer state of mind, I have to get my summer body ready...but I am so far behind.  Grrr!

As you know, this lady loves her food too much.  Like, a little too much

I think the most immediate plan of action for me is to make a 6-week plan.  Six weeks seems like a tangible timetable to evaluate my likes and what did/didn't work for me. 

Even with eating myself to chubby with my food binges, I know what I need to do to improve my eating.  The problem is finding an exercise regiment to stick to.  Besides the fact that I am notoriously haphazard, I really just don't know what I want to do.  Yes, the women who owns over 200 DVDs and I can decide what workout to pop in my player next.

I think a large part is the fact that I haven't been able to stick to anything concrete at all this year.  I started the New Year with a decent schedule, but that got aborted when (another) unwanted visitor surfaced in my apartment.  I went to a local gym on/off for awhile, but since I am not a gym-going type, it was hard to remain consistent. Then my DVD player wasn't working.

Basically, I haven't played one of my DVDs in months.  Months!  So now that things seem semi-normal (for now), I am back at square one and don't know what I want to do. 

What I do know is that I want to go back to incorporating Yoga back into my routine.  I have to honest and recognize that I am not getting any younger (my last birthday in the 20s is in September -- boo!) and I find Yoga to be a healthy habit I want to do for life.  When I do Yoga regularly, I sleep better, my core gets stronger (and looks better) and my achy back gets relieved.  I really need to do Yoga more than I am currently doing it.

Since I have a gym membership (that I occasionally use), I might as well take advantage of those cardio machines.  Having always done lots of circuit training, I tend to skip out on the steady state cardio.  I know the recent trends keep pushing HIIT and shorter, more intensive cardio sessions, but I don't believe we should forgo steady state cardio.  If anything, it is a great stress reliever and very therapeutic.  And since my TV doesn't get any reception, this inspiring entrepreneur can watch Shark Tank while jogging on a treadmill.

I just don't know what I want to do for strength training, but perhaps this is where my haphazard ways become handy.  I have a feeling it may be time to purge my collection, as well as popping the cherries of some my virgins.  It might be sacrilegious, but truthfully: I sometimes buy DVDs I don't need but think I really want.

I plan to take this week to jump in and hamper out what I feel I need to do.  I will post updates soon.

Cheers!

No comments: